History

A Brief History

The origins of the Club go back to January 1956 when a meeting of servicemen and civil servants in Naval Service Headquarters agreed to form Naval Headquarters Curling Club. The 60-odd members rented ice at the Glebe Curling Club for a few Sunday afternoons. At a general meeting in May 1956, the members adopted a constitution changing the name to the RCN Curling Club (Ottawa), providing that the membership would consist of male active, reserve, and retired personnel of the Royal Canadian Navy, and the Civil Service employees of the Department of National Defence (Navy).

During 1956-57, the ice was again rented at the Glebe Curling Club, and in 1957-58 at the RCMP Curling Club. In 1958, several key events took place. Plans were finalized for the construction of the current club premises; the Ladies Division was formed; and male membership was extended to include serving members of the Army and the RCAF. The early part of the 1958-59 season was curled at the RCAF Uplands Curling Club until our own club opened on February 6, 1959. Also in 1959, our club was incorporated, and became a member of the Ontario Curling Association. Over the years, numerous attempts were made at enlarging our clubhouse, and finally on November 20, 1983, we finally celebrated the opening of the expanded lounge and locker room facilities we see today.

Since gaining a home of its own, the RCN Curling Club (Ottawa) has flourished. The membership structure has changed over the years and now we are an open club. In 1983, the lady members formed separate divisions for day and evening curlers in order to accommodate the needs of both groups. In 1987, the Club’s constitution was rewritten; the major impact was to extend eligibility for Lifetime (voting) membership to ladies. We now have the following types of membership: Men, Senior Men, Day Ladies, Evening Ladies, Mixed, Student, Social and Junior. After 4 years of belonging to the club, members became lifetime voting members.

The officers and directors of the club are elected at an Annual General meeting of members. In 1992, the election of our first female president occurred. In 1993, we reached agreement to purchase the building from DND and, at the same time, signed a 30 year lease for the land.

Today, we enjoy a proud tradition, a full membership, and a pretty fair track record in outside competition, but our most prized possession is our reputation as a friendly club. We encourage you to join us in keeping the spirit of friendship flourishing.

"The instructors were great. Not only did they teach the basics of curling but them made sure we had fun and felt welcomed at the Club."

Photo Gallery